Learning about sustainable practices is fundamental to the long term success of your garden.
Length of party:
6 hrs plus breaks
Full Menu Items:
- Garden Soils
- Support Species
Taster Menu Items:
- Beneficial Insects
- Worm Farms
- Crop Rotation
- Seed Saving
- Garden Maintenance
- Soil Improvement
Creating a sustainable garden that requires minimum input for maximum output.
- Compost bin supplied and setup or
- Worm farm supplied and setup
- 3 x support species, planted.
Guest’s Goodie Bag:
- Notes Pack
- Small pot containing support species
- Soil improvement kit - Soil conditioner, organic Xtra, NatraMin
Cost: $95 per person
- Minimum 12 people required
- Early bird specials apply
Full menu items:
NOTE:Depending on the level of garden party being delivered (Appetiser or Main Course) these descriptions may vary.
An introduction to permaculture ethics and principles.
- The history of Permaculture - the beginnings and the name
- Design ethics and principles
- The importance of this for the future
- How to incorporate this into our daily lives
- Activitiy to familiarise everyone with Permaculture
Everything starts with the soil.
- Understanding soil and its relationship with plants; importance of humus
- Soil testing
- Getting your soil ready to grow food
- Ways to improve soil
- How to care for your soil to keep it healthy in the first year
- Strategies for healthy soil; compost, worm castings, green manure cropping, mulching
- pH testing
- Looking at compost and worm castings
Composting made easy.
- Why compost?
- What is compost?
- The role of compost in an organic garden
- The life in compost
- What goes in, what stays out - ingredients
- Building, maintaining, harvesting, using and storing your perfect compost
- Troubleshooting common problems (vermin, odours etc) & easy remedies
- Selecting and preparing the site
- Selecting & preparing the materials incl compost starters
- Build a small compost heap to manage kitchen scraps and provide soil for your garden
- Large compost systems
- Fungal vs bacterial dominated
- Importance of feeding microbes
- Bokashi systems
Using plants to support your garden's health
- Identifying common support species in a sustainable garden
- The role of support species in an edible schoolgarden, orchard and food forest
- Using them in garden design
- Exploring the many uses of plants and their benefits
- Growing your own mulch, fertilisers and compost activators
- Growing your own shade and structural plants
- Identifying various species and how to grow them
Attracting the good bugs into your garden.
- Introduction to beneficial insects
- The role of beneficial insects in an organic garden
- How to attract and keep beneficial insects in your garden
- Identifying common beneficial insects in an edible garden
- Resources for bug ID
- Identifying insects in the garden with magnifying glass
- Planting Good Bug Mix
- Good Bug vs Bad Bug role-playing game
An army of workers for your garden.
- Why have a worm farm?
- Worms role in soil
- What type of worms?
- Where to buy worms
- What worms need to thrive
- What type of worm farm best suits you? (can-o-worms, worm cafe, bathtub, polysterne box, worm tower)
- Selecting the best site for your farm
- Setting up a worm farm
- Feeding, watering and caring for your worm farm
- Troubleshooting common problems
- Harvesting and using worm castings in your garden
Create an abundant garden year after year.
- Introduction to common crop rotation cycles
- Preventing disease and breaking pest breeding cycles using crop rotation
- Mixing annuals and perennials in crop rotation
Invest now for a sustainable and productive future.
- The story of seeds and why seed saving is so important
- Easy seeds to get started with
- How to select quality seeds to seed save
- Storing seeds
- Local seed suppliers
- Different seed saving techniques
- Getting set up to seed save
- Join a local seed saving network
- Processing seeds (wet and dry)
- Packaging and labeling seeds
Maintaining a healthy and productive garden.
- Edible Schoolyard yearly maintenance schedule
- What is maintenance and why we do it
- How to maintain your garden
- Successional Planting
- Pest and Disease Management
- Jobs in the subtropical edible garden
- Tips for saving time, energy and money
- Selection and care of garden tools
- Garden tidy ups
- Understanding weeds
- Weed management - the organic way
Soil improvement strategies.
- Why we need to continually improve our soil and how to do it
- Organic inputs
- Building Humus
- Changing pH balance
- Increasing moisture holding capacity
- Mineral Balance
- Green Manure Crops
- The benefits of compost, worm farms and mulching
- What is Crop Rotation?
- Plant out a green manure crop
- Looking at different soil improvers - touch and smell
Note: Depending on the level of garden party being delivered (Appetiser or Main Course) the above descriptions may vary.